My initial aim was glitch the video file itself but then I figured it’d be quite different to glitch each frame individually. To do this I created the original text in Inkscape and then created 52 copies of it. I then opened up the file in a text editor and began messing around with the numbers!
After the 17th or so version of the file it became hard to try and randomly replace numbers, so I turned to Twitter for some help.
I asked people to give me two random numbers, each between 0 and 99. I’d then modify an image using only those two numbers. Within minutes of asking I already was given quite a lot of numbers, so I began work on glitching. In the end I sporadically used the numbers that were given on each image. All of the results can be seen below:
The amount of variation you can get by just replacing a few numbers or changing a number from a negative to a positive is quite amazing.
For the sound I ran an mp3 file through MPeg Fucker, which is a nifty little script for warping sounds.